The "Bergdoktor house" in Ellmau: The "Hinterschnabl" farmhouse was first mentioned in village history in 1694. In 1985 the former mayor of Ellmau, Johann Leitner, took over the farmhouse from his mother. The residential part of the farmhouse stood empty, partly because it didn't have electricity, until the film team of the "Bergdoktor" discovered it in 2007.
Since the Mountain Doctor has run his TV practice here, the farmhouse rooms have been lovingly restored and furnished. Hans Leitner continues as before to manage the fields and meadows. The people of Elmau are very proud of the new landmark in the district of Faistenbichl, that is admired by millions of television viewers several weeks a year and wets the appetite for a holiday in the Tyrolean mountains.
It is also possible to see the inside of the Bergdoktor practice on guided film location walks run by the Wilder Kaiser Tourist Board and on Tuesdays and Fridays in summer from 10am - 12pm when there is no filming taking place.